a plea

Raj Mathur raju at linux-delhi.org
Sun Sep 16 05:49:07 UTC 2007

On Sunday 16 September 2007 05:40, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Russ Nelson wrote:
> > No, because it happens at the client.  NOTHING you do on the server
> > side can be the correct thing.  BOTH inserting Reply-To AND NOT
> > inserting Reply-To are the wrong things to do (for different
> > reasons, obviously).
>
> However, the server can choose not to send out a duplicate if the
> sender used Reply-All.  For instance, Mailman has this feature
> (http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-member/node21.html).

It does, and I keep it turned off for all the Mailman-managed mailing
lists I'm on.  My client (KMail) is configured so list replies go
directly into the appropriate folder while personal replies go into my
Inbox.  If I turn on don't send duplicates, then I have to manually
move potentially duplicate responses from my Inbox to the list folder
unless I want to mess up the complete thread in my archives.  I prefer
to hit Del on the duplicated personal response.

While this is probably not a generic issue, I'd suggest that ``don't
send duplicates'' or equivalent in list management software isn't the
right solution in all cases either.

Regards,

-- Raju
--