For Approval: Boost Software License - Version 1.0 - August 17th, 2003

Chris Travers chris.travers at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 20:19:28 UTC 2007

On 9/15/07, John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org> wrote:

> Donovan Hawkins scripsit:
>
> > If that license is attached to source code, it seems obvious that the
> > right to distribute and prepare derivative works applies to the source
> > code. Beyond the relative absurdity of preparing derivative works from
> > executables, why would the license distinguish executables if it only
> > applied to executables?
>
> I'd say that the problem with this license is that it does not
> (probably inadvertently) grant the right to distribute derivative
> works.  Arguably, this right is not necessary, as derivative works
> belong to the deriver, but it's good to spell it out.

I am lost here.  I followed the link to the Boost license and noticed the
following in Paragraph 1:

"Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person or organization

obtaining a copy of the software and accompanying documentation covered by
this license (the "Software") to use, reproduce, display, distribute,
execute, and transmit the Software, and to prepare derivative works of the
Software, and to permit third-parties to whom the Software is furnished to
do so, all subject to the following:"

Note the language "and to prepare derivative works of the software."

Maybe you are referring to something else?

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers