For Approval: Boost Software License - Version 1.0 - August 17th, 2003

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sat Sep 15 18:30:32 UTC 2007

Donovan Hawkins scripsit:

> If that license is attached to source code, it seems obvious that the
> right to distribute and prepare derivative works applies to the source
> code. Beyond the relative absurdity of preparing derivative works from
> executables, why would the license distinguish executables if it only
> applied to executables?

I'd say that the problem with this license is that it does not
(probably inadvertently) grant the right to distribute derivative
works.  Arguably, this right is not necessary, as derivative works
belong to the deriver, but it's good to spell it out.

John Cowan     http://ccil.org/~cowan    cowan at ccil.org
Monday we watch-a Firefly's house, but he no come out.  He wasn't home.
Tuesday we go to the ball game, but he fool us.  He no show up.  Wednesday he
go to the ball game, and we fool him.  We no show up.  Thursday was a
double-header.  Nobody show up.  Friday it rained all day.  There was no ball
game, so we stayed home and we listened to it on-a the radio.  --Chicolini