a plea

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Fri Sep 14 16:38:01 UTC 2007

On Sep 13, 2007, at 11:06 PM, Chris Travers wrote:
> Lawrence Rosen wrote:
>> I'd welcome almost any way to help me manage the emails on this
>> discussion
>> list without destroying it altogether. One thing that's kept me from
>> responding publicly so far is that, when I do, people reply "to-
>> all" instead
>> of just to the list and I get two (2) copies of each of these
>> emails. Ugh!
>> Once is punishment enough! So please, reply only to license-discuss!
>
> How likely is it that we could get the list set up so that replies
> go directly to the list by default (or at least suppress sending
> out duplicates)?
>
> Mr. Rosen's complaint is very typical of email lists in this
> configuration.

As others have noted, munging the Reply-to: header is not
recommended, although any convention can be workable so long as the
users of the list are familiar with it and willing to tolerate it.

Suppressing duplicate emails when someone replies to both the
individual and the list via "reply all" is a very nice option, and is
available with GNU Mailman.  I don't know whether Russ can make qmail
+ezmlm suppress the dups, but if that can be done, I'd definitely
give that suggestion a +1.  :-)

--
-Chuck