a plea

Scott Shattuck idearat at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 13 19:22:50 UTC 2007

I agree that discussions regarding specifics are inevitable given the
culture in question. The point I was trying, however poorly, to put
forth was the need to structure the mailing list(s) so that there is
at least one list that is focused purely on the actionable events.

Perhaps that's this list, perhaps it's license-actions at opensource.org
(to be created), perhaps neither. But the original problem statement
from Brian et. al. was that this list is already so full of things I
"can just delete" that I'm in danger of simply deleting my
subscription out of disgust rather than continue to wade through it all.

At a minimum, structuring list discussions around a specific action
point (we're going to reject license X because it violates OSI #10)
in a strict format would make it easy for users to a) set up filters
regarding specific licenses (I could care less about the GPL3
thanks), b) set up filters specific to certain actions (please show
me all calls for votes), etc. In short, structuring titles at a
minimum to fit certain requirements would make automating the noise
filtering much easier for those of us who are interested but can't
make a career of hitting the delete button.

ss