a plea

Michael Poole mdpoole at troilus.org
Tue Sep 11 02:28:52 UTC 2007

Brian Behlendorf writes:

> Count me in with Luis's lot, concerned that the sheer volume of
> messages on this list threatens to prevent the involvement of more
> than a small group.  Therefore, I plea that we discontinue the
> conversations about tort law, the mechanics or ethics of sublicensing,
> or other fairly off-topic conversations.

Topic drift is inevitable in this kind of analysis.  Tort law, the
mechanics of sublicensing, and other topics come up precisely because
someone thinks they are relevant to whether a license meets the OSD.
The discussion most often continues because there is a disagreement
about the implications.  One cannot entirely sever that from the
question of whether the license should be certified.

At a certain point, the discussion stops being relevant, but that is
an argument that should be made on a case-by-case basis.  It should
not be made by a general dictum about what is acceptably on topic.

Michael Poole