Automatic GPL termination

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Wed Sep 12 17:49:25 UTC 2007

NO. The GPL licence does not cover the licence itself which is copyrighted
by the FSF and distributed under very strict conditions (and where not all
modifications are possible).

The Code you define is NOT the "modified code" you describe here. The FSF is
the only copyright owner of the GPL text, and has not granted authors to
modify the text. The VERBATIM copy of the GPL is required, even if there are
additional permissions stated in the copyright notice required in the
covered work source or binary distribution. The GPL does not cover the text
of the additional offers.

Reread the definition of "covered work" and "modified work" in the GPL. This
covers all but the text of the GPL which MUST remain intact (additional
permissions will be specified outside of the GPL text.