License Committee Report for August 2007

Robert W. Gomulkiewicz bobgom at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 7 03:38:34 UTC 2007

> Title: Simple Public License (SimPL):
> GPLv3.  In the interest of preserving as much compatibility between
> licenses, it would be nice if the SimPL allowed promotion to either
> the GPLv2 or GPLv3.

I do plan to write a SimPL 3.0 which will be a plain language implementation of GPLv3 terms so that a developer can choose those terms if desired.  In the meantime, however, I'm hoping OSI will approve SimPL 2.0 for those who like those terms better.  As Stallman said in his Why Upgrade to GPLv3 document, "upgrading is a choice" and "GPLv2 remains a valid license." SimPL 2.0 meets the OSD definition and, besides, is compatible with GPLv2.  Thanks for your consideration and interest.

--Bob