Editorial Board, Take 2 - vs. Trac Maintainers

Ernest Prabhakar ernest.prabhakar at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 19:46:19 UTC 2007

Hi Zak,

On Nov 29, 2007, at 9:25 PM, Zak Greant wrote:
> I designed a process to make sure that we don't keep dropping
> community input on the floor. This is a very different thing from what
> you have proposed.

I appreciate your perspective -- and your incredible hard work -- but
I'm a bit worried that your proposal doesn't really match the
"culture" of the contributors we have available.

The Board that I (and I think Larry) have envisioned are people who
have *expertise*, to ensure that we have high-quality information.

The Editors that _you_ are proposing are people who have *time*, to
ensure that a process is being followed.

Is that a fair distinction?

If that's the case, then I propose we separate the discussions.  Let's
assume that the Editorial Board that I am proposing is only
responsible for the *wiki*, to ensure that the information provide is
maximally useful.  These are people with extensive open source
experience, but not necessarily very much time.

In addition, we have a separate group called Trac Maintainers, whose
job it is to scan the lists and help manage tickets.  These are people
who are perhaps not Open Source gurus, but are passionate and willing
to devote the time to help the community.

Might that help clarify the discussion?

-- Ernie P.