public? Re: Call for Votes: New OSI-Editors List

Zak Greant zak.greant at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 19:38:26 UTC 2007

Hi Chris, Greetings All,

On 11/26/07, Chris Travers <chris.travers at gmail.com> wrote:
> In realistic terms, this probably means that there is a separate list
> without public archives, while most deliberations take place on a
> public list.  This could mean expanding this list's charter to cover
> the topics of the other list as well and encouraging the other list
> members to discuss most things on this list, or it could mean the
> creation of 2 additional lists.

I'd prefer to have one list with public archives. The editors deal
with publicly posted information and don't offer opinions on it. Their
need to have private discussions should be quite limited.

If there is a need for privacy, then a Cc list should be sufficient
(and sufficiently inconvenient enough to discourage casual use.)

> The major reasons for secrecy in open source code projects generally include:
> 1)  A need for secrecy in dealing with security issues to avoid
> putting users at undue risk

If the editors are triaging the issue, then it is public already.

If someone sends a private message, the editors tell the person to
post it publicly.

> 2)  A need for secrecy in settling disputes between core team members

Private email can suffice for this.

--
Cheers!
--zak