Choosing a license

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Fri May 11 01:45:18 UTC 2007

Bruce Alspaugh wrote:
> I thought about the MPL, but then I read there is a complicating factor
> that MPL and GPL code cannot legally be linked together.  We need to be
> able to link with LGPL code as well.

I am not a lawyer, but I believe MPL can link with LGPL, but not GPL.

> If I exercise the provision in the MPL to allow a choice of the LGPLv2.1
> I should be compatible.  Have I then allowed people to bypass the patent
> provisions in the MPL?

Yes.  People would be able to make modified versions available under
only the LGPL.  You wouldn't be able to use their changes then either.
But this isn't an issue if you're dealing only with existing LGPL code.

>  Would the LGPLv3 alone or together with MPL fix
> that?

LGPLv3 will be GPLv3 plus an extra set of conditional permissions.  See
http://gplv3.fsf.org/lgpl3-dd2.html for the latest draft.  This means
the GPL's Section 11 should require contributors (but not distributors)
to grant a full patent license.

Matt Flaschen