GPL License Question

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Tue Jun 26 16:51:24 UTC 2007

On Jun 26, 2007, at 6:06 AM, John Hancock wrote:
> I have a proprietary app (foo) that ships with a GPL apps (bar and
> baz), as well as their source. When foo is installed it is setup to
> call bar and baz (separate binaries). However it can be setup to
> call other apps (not bar nor baz but others). Foo is agnostic but
> bar and baz are shipped and by default the system is set use them.
> Does Foo break the GPL?

Nope.  If you redistribute the binaries for bar and baz, you would
need to honor the GPL with regard to them, and be willing to provide
source for bar and baz if asked, etc, but "mere aggregation" does not
imply that the GPL terms would apply to foo.

> Some real life parallels for this scenario are: a proprietary bash
> script calls gawk. A proprietary C program calls gawk.

Sure.  All kinds of proprietary software running under Linux (for
example) does such things.

--
-Chuck

PS: Apply salt and the Obligatory IANAL disclaimer, season to
taste.  :-)