Submitting GPLv3 and LGPLv3 for OSI inclusion.

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Jul 6 01:32:09 UTC 2007

Michael Tiemann scripsit:

> We're not playing favorites here.  Unlike the case of the Microsoft
> licenses (which were discussed as a hypothetical possibility), Chris
> DiBona made a specific request, which is now in play.  If somebody has
> code licensed under a Microsoft license (any Microsoft license) and
> wants to know whether we think the license does or does not conform to
> the OSD, we'll give it a fair hearing.

In fact, I made actual requests for approval on 9 December 2005
for the MS Community License and the MS Permissive License.  See
http://www.crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:sss:11331:200512:cokmgmoknbgepfbongjn
and
http://www.crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:sss:11330:200512:mkohfpmjekmjelobgffa
respectively.  I withdrew those requests on 11 December at Russ
Nelson's request: he hoped that MS would submit these licenses
on their own.  Groklaw, eWeek, and Slashdot covered the matter: see
http://recycledknowledge.blogspot.com/2006/08/slashdot-eweek-microsoft-osi-groklaw.html
for links.

I would not be averse to reopening the consideration of these licenses
for the same reasons stated in my original posts.

John Cowan   http://ccil.org/~cowan  cowan at ccil.org
[P]olice in many lands are now complaining that local arrestees are insisting
on having their Miranda rights read to them, just like perps in American TV
cop shows.  When it's explained to them that they are in a different country,
where those rights do not exist, they become outraged.  --Neal Stephenson