Submitting GPLv3 and LGPLv3 for OSI inclusion.

Michael Tiemann tiemann at redhat.com
Thu Jul 5 20:43:27 UTC 2007

Mike Milinkovich wrote:
>> On Jun 29, 2007, at 10:33 AM, Chris DiBona wrote:
>>
>>> I submit the following licenses for consideration by the OSI for
>>> inclusion in the list of licenses complying with the OSD.
>>>

> I have a feeling that I might regret asking this question, but here goes....
> :-)
>
> As I recall, when some time ago someone submitted the Microsoft community
> licenses, the reaction was that since the steward of those licenses didn't
> ask for OSI approval, it did not make much sense to conduct a review and/or
> approval. If that was true then, shouldn't the FSF be asking for this
> approval now?

I found this thread on license-discuss:
http://www.nabble.com/Microsoft%27s-shared-source-licenses-tf1528519.html#a4152185

If this is the thread you were thinking of, then I'd summarize the
question as "I wonder what would happen if somebody were to submit
this?" and the OSI Board chose not to answer a speculative question.

> Or are we collectively agreeing that (L)GPLv3 is of sufficient gravitas to
> warrant a special case? Obviously we are talking about two quite different
> sources here.

We're not playing favorites here.  Unlike the case of the Microsoft
licenses (which were discussed as a hypothetical possibility), Chris
DiBona made a specific request, which is now in play.  If somebody has
code licensed under a Microsoft license (any Microsoft license) and
wants to know whether we think the license does or does not conform to
the OSD, we'll give it a fair hearing.

GPG Key: F0AD 3368 D24A 56CD A2AD  6A12 CAB3 2E89 EA0A C0E4

The structure of world peace cannot be the work of one man, or one
party, or one nation...it must be a peace which rests on the cooperative
effort of the whole world. -- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Part of the tragedy is of the artist is that there is no real goal in
achieving what you are naturally good at. The real satisfaction lies in
the things you accomplish by practice and effort.
  -- Joris van den Berg, commenting on the death of H. Cartier Bresson

Dream so big you can share -- me