[META] DELETE ME FROM THE MAILING LIST

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 28 21:28:04 UTC 2007

> The email to -request doesn't have to be plain text.

It doesn't have to be for lists manager that use the in body commands
either, as long as all you want is a message with further instructions,
as sending help is what they generally do when they don't understand
a command.

The reason for saying plain text is that most list managers that parse
the body use a parser that doesn't understand MIME multipart messages and
so tries to interpret the MIME control information as commands and
may give up before the real command.  You will generally still get
a full or partial help message, as that is the standard error
response.

What it does do is increase the number of round trips when trying
to unsubscribe by generic algorithm.

> They won't get any email until they (auto)reply to the confirmation.

OK that makes the list relatively immune to remote hostile subscriptions,
although not totally immune if there is an auto-responder, as we've seen
with Amazon.

I admit that was the case I was thinking of, but it is far from uncommon
for people who leave their PCs logged in to have colleagues forge mail
from them.