DELETE ME FROM THE MAILING LIST

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sun Jan 28 06:46:38 UTC 2007

Philippe Verdy wrote:
> I would not like to receive such email using such offensive words too...

It's not a question of wording.  What's offensive is that it wastes my time.

> Almost all mailing lists have feature, and running a mailing list without it is something bad.

I don't think any of mine do.

> Those that want to stop receiving the listhave to right to cancel their subscription but if there's no reminder,they may have completely forgotten how or where they subscribed.

One hint is that the text license-discuss at opensource.org appears in
every email.  Is it asking so much that they then dig up the original
email, or go to that domain and look around for this unsubscribe address
(or just guess it; it's a very common template)?

> There are smart mailing list admins that just honor such request by replying to the requester with the personalized link that (s)he can use
> to unsubscribe, and there's absolutely no need to be offensive
becauseof such request which is not offensive.

Not all of them are offensive, but they're all lazy.  People know, or
should, that the list address is not the address that unsubscribes them;
they're just counting on someone else to handle it for them.

Also, it is very offensive for one person to send the list a dozen
unsubscribe requests.

> Remember that this list sends a significant volume of conversations from many people that often don't have any interest for the recipient.

Then why did they sign up in the first place?

> And these emails are far more voluminous than a simple subscription reminder. if you are not prepared to receive such reminder, then you are
> not prepared to receive all those many conversations from the mailing list as well.

I'm interested in conversing about FOSS licenses, not deleting
subscription reminders.

> I must have about adozen of active subscriptions to voluminous mailing lists (plus many subscriptions to very small volume notification
> mailing lists), and all of them, except this one, are sending
reminders. This is an acknowledged good practice for mailing list runners

Acknowledged by who?

 and
> a full part of their antispam policy. This regular reminder is a necessity for every mailing list that sends a large volume, especially
> this one that rarely refer to the origin website from which the subscription was initially performed.

Except in the address of every email, or when people constantly refer to
the Open Source Definition...

> So learn to respect subscribers, and do not insult them: direct insults to subscribers are against ALL rules of the netiquette (BCP #1, I can't remember the RFC number).

Netiquette isn't about an RFC.  It's about simple courtesy, which
includes not wasting others' time.

Matthew Flaschen