Which license to use?

Robin 'Roblimo' Miller robin at roblimo.com
Fri Jan 12 13:37:58 UTC 2007

> I guess what I could do as well with the open source license is to require users to identify themselves. I guess - in theory - you could ask for a signed license agreement before you provide the software and the source code.

...and then, exercising one of the freedoms enumerated on the OSI "Open
Source Definition" page  - http://opensource.org/docs/definition.php -
the person or company with whom you have this signed license agreement
shares your code with someone you don't want to have it.

What then?

Or will your "open source" license prohibit this?

That would make your software into something you might call "shared
source" or "source available" or "proprietary software masquerading as
open source," but not would *not* make it open source.

Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
Editor in Chief, OSTG