Which license to use?

kloprogge at pointlogic.com kloprogge at pointlogic.com
Fri Jan 12 13:24:07 UTC 2007

I'm in the media and marketing industry and this industry is run by results from respondent level research (it actually sets the pricing of media space and as such the survey results are best described as a currency). It makes a lot of sense for such "currencies" to be more open and my goal is to be leading in such a thinking. I also hope that - in the end - it will lead to research agencies (the data suppliers) to be more open with their data opening up new opportunities for software and consultancy companies like myself.

The one thing I would like to avoid is helping competitors. I wouldn't want them to get a hold of some key calculation modules we've developed (so that's a problem) and I wouldn't want them to take our work and change it into a profit stream that cannabilizes ours (so that's doable).

I guess what I could do as well with the open source license is to require users to identify themselves. I guess - in theory - you could ask for a signed license agreement before you provide the software and the source code.

Regards,

Peter

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile