non-military use license

Dirk Huenniger hunniger at cip.physik.uni-bonn.de
Thu Jan 11 20:36:57 UTC 2007

I think that kind of license will NOT prevent anybody from using you
software for military purposes. A war is usually started by people who
have got very much political power in a country, so they will just turn
your license into public domain by chaning the law in that coutry, in
case they need it for the war. If they win the war, their law will, keep
in power an thus they used your software legally. If they lose they will
be killed or a least severly punished. The reasons will be defined by
the winning country. The punishment will not depent on whether they,
used the corectly licensed software in this war. I think there are a lot
of problems in this field, but I don't think licenses will solve any of
them.
Cheers Dirk