Introducing Open Solutions Alliance

Robin 'Roblimo' Miller robin at roblimo.com
Wed Feb 14 22:31:49 UTC 2007

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:
>
>> I'm sure licensing questions will be raised at the LinuxWorld Jr.
>> presentation. I'll be there with my video camera and lots of tape...
>>

> It looks like CentricCRM couldn't wait after all.  There's a story up at
>  ZDNet (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6159182.html).

Also this story by one of my people:
http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/02/14/1155249&tid=11

And tomorrow, immediately after the panel discussion re OSA, I'll be
talking to some OSA principals about principles.

I had some private conversations with two of them today, and I think the
real truth is that they never really put a lot of thought about how
"open source" a company must be to join their group. I told two of their
people -- and SourceForge.net dude Ross Turk also said -- that we think
the membership criterion should be that a company's main products or
services are open source, and when we say "open source," we mean open
source as defined by OSI.

I have personally railed in the past against companies using "based on
open source" as a marketing gimmick. Microsoft can legitimately claim
that it has projects "based on open source," so, um...

...anyway, more to come. May be in the form of an opinion piece. I am
obviously partisan here and not ashamed to say so. The story will run on
Linux.com.

Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
Editor in Chief, OSTG