Attribution & the Adaptive Public License

Timothy McIntyre tmcintyre at terracottatech.com
Mon Feb 5 20:02:04 UTC 2007

As the OSI community considers approving a new "attribution" license,
there's a key point that I think has been lost in the shuffle.  In 2005,
the OSI approved the Adaptive Public License as satisfying all 10
requirements of the OSD.  The APL includes a specific attribution
provision.  It says:

"As a modest attribution to the Initial Contributor, in the hope that
its promotional value may help justify the time, money and effort
invested in writing the Initial Work, the Initial Contributor may
include in *Part 2 of the Supplement File* a requirement that each time
an executable program resulting from the Initial Work or any Subsequent
Work, or a program dependent thereon, is launched or run, a prominent
display of the Initial Contributor's attribution information must occur
(the "*ATTRIBUTION INFORMATION*"). The Attribution Information must be
included at the beginning of each Source Code file. For greater
certainty, the Initial Contributor may specify in the Supplement File
that the above attribution requirement only applies to an executable
program resulting from the Initial Work or any Subsequent Work, but not
a program dependent thereon. The intent is to provide for reasonably
modest attribution, therefore the Initial Contributor may not require
Recipients to display, at any time, more than the following Attribution
Information: (a) a copyright notice including the name of the Initial
Contributor; (b) a word or one phrase (not exceeding 10 words); (c) one
digital image or graphic provided with the Initial Work; and (d) a URL
(collectively, the "*ATTRIBUTION LIMITS*")."

--APL, section 3.10(a).

This OSI-approved attribution provision is quite broad.  It can apply to
*every* executable program that results from the Initial Work or any
Subsequent Work, regardless of whether such work is distributed or not.
In addition, it can be applied to a program that is dependent upon the
Initial or Subsequent Work.  Finally, it necessarily complies with OSD
section 10, because the APL was approved in 2005, after section 10 was
added to the OSD in 2002.

I bring this up because I've seen a lot of discussion / debate on this
mailing list about which flavor(s) of attribution should be considered
OSD-compliant, and I think the APL is a useful point of common reference
and can help light the way.  To ignore the APL when deciding whether to
approve any "attribution" license would risk muddying the water even
further, IMHO.  What's that Bob Marley line?  "If you don't know your
past, you don't know your future?"

Tim

Timothy McIntyre // Corporate Counsel
Terracotta // Open Source Clustering for Java

web: www.terracotta.org
tel: 415.738.4014
fax: 415.738.4099

This email incorporates Terracotta's confidentiality policy, which is online at http://www.terracottatech.com/emailconfidentiality.shtml