license categories, was: I'm not supposed to use the ECL v2?

Chris Travers chris.travers at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 08:47:13 UTC 2007

I would suggest that GPL v2 or later is just a way of licensing the work
potentially under multiple licenses without making any representations as to
the possibility of actually distributing the software under any of the other
licenses.

I see no reason why one is required to drop the "or later" in derivative
works because those rights are granted to all downstream recipients anyway.
This is the same reason why the "extra permissions" of the BSD, ISC, etc.
licenses must be outside the bounds of the GPL v3 section 7 in order to be
compatible (because they too address all other users, and so one cannot just
remove the permissions from an identifiable portion because one says so).

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers