MS-PL/GPL compatibility, was Re: For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Aug 23 23:24:44 UTC 2007

Rick Moen wrote:
> As Matt points out, you have fundamentally misunderstood the notion of
> compilation copyright, and apparently confused it with that of
> collective works.

Huh? The definitions of "collective work" [1] and "compilation" [2], while
different in 17 U.S.C 101, are pretty similar. Note that a "collective work"
is but one form of "compilation." I prefer to just use the term "collective
work" for software examples because folks tend to confuse "compilation" with
the act of running source code through a compiler, which it doesn't mean.

What does your email mean? :-)

/Larry

[1] A "collective work" is a work, such as a periodical issue, anthology, or
encyclopedia, in which a number of contributions, constituting separate and
independent works in themselves, are assembled into a collective whole.

[2] A "compilation" is a work formed by the collection and assembling of
preexisting materials or of data that are selected, coordinated, or arranged
in such a way that the resulting work as a whole constitutes an original
work of authorship. The term "compilation" includes collective works.