conducting a sane and efficient GPLv3, LGPLv3 Review

Arnoud Engelfriet arnoud at engelfriet.net
Fri Aug 3 06:45:47 UTC 2007

David Woolley wrote:
> Arnoud Engelfriet wrote:
> >This presumes that the clause is severable and not so central
> >to the whole GPL that the judge will hold the rest up, but
> >that's the theory.
>
> Isn't the purpose of the preamble to make it very clear that this is the
> essence of the licence?

That's why I think the theory is unlikely to succeed. Nevertheless,
for people that disregard preambles as "just a bunch of whereasses"
the argument seems plausible as first glance.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself
              Arnoud blogt nu ook: http://blog.iusmentis.com/