conducting a sane and efficient GPLv3, LGPLv3 Review

Jesse Hannah jesse.hannah at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 00:29:37 UTC 2007

On 31 Jul 2007, at 17:00, Ernest Prabhakar wrote:
> On Jul 31, 2007, at 4:33 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
>> More generally, I'd suggest that this discussion should focus very,
>> very strictly on whether or not the v3 is OSD-compatible; other
>> issues
>> are either obviously resolved or otherwise not relevant:
>
> Many other people are wrestling with the GPLv2/GPLv3 issue, so I don't
> see any need for OSI to poke its irons into that fire.
>
> I'm sure OSD compatibility is plenty to keep us busy for a while. :-)

That it is :) I agree with Luis completely: let's save the rest of
the ibuprofen until AFTER it's been decided whether or not the GPLv3
meets the Open Source Definition. The license has definitely gone
through sufficient discussion and community review, already has
received a very wide adoption, and it wasn't exactly written
overnight on a whim, so one would think that its purpose is
justified. As far as I can tell, the only question between it and the
OSD would be over OSD number 9, and even that I don't think comes out
to be anything that would keep it from getting approved. That's just
at a glance, but personally I'm surprised it isn't approved already.
(Then I look back at some of the threads on here and am reminded
otherwise...)

Let's stay on focus, people :) I for one just want to use the darn
thing, and arguing endlessly over compatibility &c. doesn't help the
purpose of either the license or the OSI any. What matters at the end
of the day is, is it open source?
--
jbh

~~~~