conducting a sane and efficient GPLv3, LGPLv3 Review

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed Aug 1 00:41:30 UTC 2007

Luis Villa wrote:
> So, yeah. We could spend literally hundreds of hours discussing
> compatibility, 'need', and potential license flaws, and in the process
> finish driving away from license-discuss anyone of goodwill but
> limited time/energy, but I'd strongly suggest that instead we limit
> GPL v3 discussion to the strict question of OSD compatibility and save
> each other the time and energy for other pursuits.

I agree. GPLv3 is obviously OSD-compliant. Let's get right to the point. It
is an open source license, even if RMS prefers to use a different name for
it. :-)

Quite frankly, I'm more interested to see what category the license will be
placed in on the OSI list. Is it redundant? Or will OSI immediately call it
popular?

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242 * cell: 707-478-8932 * fax: 707-485-1243
Skype: LawrenceRosen
Author of "Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and
                Intellectual Property Law" (Prentice Hall 2004)