Radical Suggestion WAS: License Proliferation Dissatisfaction

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at buni.org
Mon Apr 23 02:20:00 UTC 2007

I think this categorization is helpful.  With that, if License
proliferation is bad and the board wishes to stop it -- why not stop
it?  Meaning *close* the license approval process and declare "Open
Source means software licensed in its entirety under these  licenses"
and declare the OSD to be a statement of values and that there are no
other open source licenses.  Then state that NO licenses can be approved
unless the board is petitioned and at its discretion reopens the license
approval process.  Finally state that the board is not well disposed to
do so unless there is a change in law or legal climate (such as say the
GPL being proved invalid in court).  Make the statement that new
revisions of existing licenses (such as the GPLv3) will still be
considered provided they are "substantially similar" to their
predecessors in terms and spirit.

--
Catch us at Linuxfest Northwest (4/28-4/29) http://linuxfestnorthwest.org
Buni Meldware Communication Suite