For Approval: Educational Community License 1.0

Christopher D. Coppola chris.coppola at rsmart.com
Wed Apr 18 03:17:24 UTC 2007

I'm writing to request approval of the Educational Community License
2.0.  ECL 2.0 is intended to replace ECL 1.0 (http://
www.opensource.org/licenses/ecl1.php) and it is closely modeled after
the Apache 2.0 license in an effort to reduce the burdens of license
proliferation.  Our eventual goal is to adopt the Apache 2.0 license
itself, however we cannot adopt the Apache 2.0 license in its current
version because the colleges and universities that are the primary
contributors to our projects face restrictions on their ability to
grant patent licenses that are incompatible with the current version
of the Apache license.  ECL 2.0 is intended to make as few changes to
the Apache license as possible, while remedying this incompatibility.

A little background...

I'm making this request on behalf of a number of large open source
communities that are developing open source applications for
education, primarily colleges and universities. ECL 1.0 is presently
used by the Sakai Foundation (www.sakaiproject.org), the Kuali
Foundation (www.kuali.org), and a number of smaller open source
projects within the higher education community.

The Sakai and Kuali Foundations are not-for-profit organizations
modeled after the Apache Foundation and dedicated to coordinating
community activities and safeguarding the community's intellectual
property. The Sakai Foundation is developing enterprise collaboration
and learning software and has more than 100 institutional members
from around the world. The Kuali Foundation is developing a number of
ERP-type applications for colleges and universities in areas such as
Financials, Endowment Management, Research Administration, and
Student Services.

Over the past few years, we have developed an IP management practice
modeled after Apache's. We use inbound licenses modeled after the
Apache's Contributor License Agreements. We also have a rigorous
evaluation process for third party software that is proposed for
inclusion in our distribution as part of our QA process, and we
supplement this with periodic third party reviews using outside
consultants / software tools and counsel.

As part of this process, we have attempted to adopt the form of
contribution agreement used by Apache for use in connection with
contributions by educational institutions.  We wanted to use the
Apache form of contribution agreement so that we could eventually
move away from ECL 1.0 and move towards adoption of the Apache form
of open source license.

In the process, however, we discovered an incompatibility between the
patent clause in the Apache license and the rules that these
educational institutions must follow.  The incompatability has two
features:  First, while these educational institutions want to
encourage contributions to these projects because they have the
potential to be of enormous benefit to the entire higher education
community, many research institutions simply do not have the ability
to grant a patent license that will cover not only inventions by the
individual faculty who are contributing to these projects, but also
faculty and staff that have no involvement with the projects.  In
this regard, they are unlike a corporation that might wish to
contribute to an open source project, where the corporation will
typically control the patents that may be embodied in their
contribution under relevant employment agreements.  Second, in many
cases these universities are subject to pre-existing research and
grant funding agreements that limit their ability to grant patent
licenses.

The need to evolve ECL 1.0

In November we held an international licensing summit among our
community with the goal of developing a common licensing framework
that would serve to minimize the friction of licensing when
contributing to and adopting open source software among colleges and
universities. See http://summit2006.osnext.org.  One key outcome of
the summit was the decision to try to move towards adoption of the
Apache 2.0 form of outbound license.  This was favored for a number
of reasons:

1. It is a popular license and therefore would likely be accepted
more readily
2. Adopting the Apache license would help with license proliferation
3. It includes a patent license
4. It would create a high degree of inbound/outbound licensing
symmetry with our contribution agreements.

Unfortunately, adopting the Apache license outright isn't an
immediate option for our community, because of the patent-related
issues described above.  Adopting the Apache 2.0 form of outbound
license would break the symmetry between the inbound contribution
agreements that our participating institutions are able to provide,
we obviously cannot make claims in the outbound license that are not
supported by the inbound contribution agreements. In response, we
decided that ECL 2.0 should be a clone of Apache with minimal changes
to achieve inbound/outbound license symmetry.  This is what we are
submitting for approval today.

I'll wrap up my rationale for our approach, and for approval with the
following considerations:

1. As far as we know, ECL 1.0 is in use only within our community. We
have a very cohesive community and will endeavor to eliminate the use
of ECL 1.0 if ECL 2.0 is approved. This could be achieved in as
little as 6 months.

2. Our ultimate goal is to move to one of the popular licenses
altogether and eliminate ECL. This will take some time, but a
representative of Apache participated in our licensing summmit in
November, and we hope to continue our dialogue with the Apache
Foundation about the issues colleges and universities face in trying
to use the current Apache licenses. We're hopeful that over some
period of time, our community will bend a little, and the Apache
license will evolve so that our community and the license converge.
At this point we would do our best to retire ECL 2 altogether.

3. We cannot move to Apache 2.0 immediately due to the importance of
contributor license agreements, the limitations on the claims
universities are able to make in those CLAs, and the asymmetry
created if our outbound license has claims more broad than our
inbound licenses.

Text version of ECL 2:
https://www.collabtools.org/access/content/user/chris.coppola%
40rsmart.com/ecl2.txt