Restriction on distribution by Novell?

Wilson, Andrew andrew.wilson at intel.com
Tue Sep 26 22:36:24 UTC 2006

John Cowan wrote:

> It's still not very clear.

What about GPLv2 /is/ clear (he asked rhetorically?)

> If I post the binaries I get plus the
> written offer on my Web site, must the company that I got them
> from honor the written offer by sending source to anyone who
> downloads them from my site?  Seemingly so.

The problem with your thought experiment is posting
the written offer on your web site. Suppose the original
distributor says "originals only, no copies accepted"
on the written offer?  I believe a distributor is allowed
to do this.

On the other hand, if you post binaries on your web site,
then /you/ have to provide sources to your
distributees, don't you.

Andy Wilson
Intel Open Source Technology Center