Restriction on distribution by Novell?

Wilson, Andrew andrew.wilson at intel.com
Tue Sep 26 21:47:19 UTC 2006

Rick Moen wrote:

>> No, not under GPLv2.  Novell's obligation to provide sources extends
>> only to those who obtain a copy of the binary from Novell.
>> GPLv3 may change this.
>
> Doesn't anyone _read_ the text?  Any lawful recipient (including
> non-customers given copies of the work by customers) may invoke
Novell's
> clause 3b obligation to furnish corresponding source code to any third
> party.

Some of us have actually read the text and understood it. ;-)
See my response to Matthew.  Your reading is incorrect.

I actually had this discussion with Eben Moglen last week.
Eben's position is that GPLv2 requires a duistributor to provide
an offer for sources only to a distributee who is
legitimately in possession of a binary obtained from
that distributor.  This is why
he intentionally broadened the language in the v3 draft
to obligate a distributor to provide sources to anyone in
possession of the corresponding GPL binary, no matter how or from whom
the binary was obtained.

Andy Wilson
Intel Open Source Technology Center