restrictions on web service linking?

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Mon Nov 20 21:41:36 UTC 2006

Clark C. Evans wrote:

> If my application was released under the OSLv3, the license would trigger
> via the "External Deployment" clause and require the organization to publish
> all source code changes that they are using due to this deployment.  However,
> the source code released isn't helpful, since public users of cannot make use
> of these "improvements" unless they separately license Oracle.

It might be.  PostegreSQL or another open source database system might
add a similar feature later, or the new feature might be adapted to be
partially usable with current open source software.

> I would like to prevent such "improvements" to my application from being
> externally deployed.  In particular, I'd like to see an additional clause
> to OSLv3 that covers this case.

I still think it is the intention of OSD #9 to prevent this.  If we
consider External Deployment distribution, you are attempting to
attempting to mandate that only an open source database program can be
distributed in conjunction with your program.  This still seems to
contradict OSD #9, which says, "The license must not place restrictions
on other software that is distributed along with the licensed software."
 Finding otherwise would require that the modified program and Oracle be
considered a single derived work; I just don't think this is accurate
(if it was Oracle would probably sue).

Matthew Flaschen