For Approval: TrueCrypt Collective License Version 2.0

Tomas Novak counsel at truecrypt.org
Thu Nov 9 12:29:59 UTC 2006

Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> Wouldn't such things be an unfair business practice or perhaps
> trademark infringement subject to legal remedy even if this
> provision weren't expressly stated in your license? Is such a
> provision needed?

Thank you for your comments. Yes, in many jurisdictions it would very
likely be looked upon as unfair business practice. Nevertheless, we
believe it will be easier to enforce this requirement if it is
explicitly stated in the license. As regards trademarks, unfortunately,
some countries do not provide legal protection for unregistered
trademarks, and it is not feasible for us to register and enforce our
trademarks in all countries. Hence, we believe such a provision is
needed.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Tomas Novak