[FWD: RE: [Ebxmlrr-tech] License issue with our customer]

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Wed May 3 18:27:27 UTC 2006

Another group to contact is the EFF (electronic freedom foundation).
That said, I'll note that this doesn't sound to this non-lawyer like a
case of corporate lawyers trampling on free licences, but rather a
dispute about who owns the copyright.  In particular the customer
seems to be claiming that this was a work for hire, while the people
who did the work don't.

If it was a work for hire, then it is not open source code no matter
what the people who wrote it may have said.  If it was not a work for
hire, then the authors can do what they want with the code, including
release it as open source.  Whether or not it will be determined to be
a work for hire depends upon the exact facts that are presented about
the case.  If documentation of what happened and/or funding for legal
fees are lacking, then it may wind up being determined to be a work
for hire even when it shouldn't. :-(

Or at least that is what my limited understanding of the law says.  A
real lawyer could tell you more.

Cheers,
Ben

PS A note for the future.  It is generally a good idea to get a real
lawyer involved BEFORE cases go to court.  Lawyers can do many things
for you.  An important one is that they can give you a realistic
assessment of your case which can help you decide whether it is better
to settle out of court, and if you choose to can help negotiate that
agreement.  Another good one is that when the other side knows that
you actually have a lawyer and know your rights, they may back down.
(They may - depending on the facts of the case - be hoping to win by
virtue of the fact that the suit is filed in a state that is hard for
you to get to.)