GPL v3

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Jan 25 23:24:21 UTC 2006

Andy Tai scripsit:

> What's amusing is that the Debian guidelines actually were designed
> explicitly with the GPL in mind, and now you are saying even the GPL
> v2 violates the Guidelines.

In fact I didn't say that.  I just don't believe that the Tentacles of
Evil test is a direct consequence of the guidelines, but rather an extra
additional requirement for Debian-free-ness.

In particular, if I hold the copyright on work W, and issue it under the
GPLv2, and then change my mind (or have it changed for me) and revoke
the applicability of the GPLv2 to W, no one has standing to challenge
me in court except under the very shaky theory of equitable estoppel --
which at most protects people who have already exercised their rights
under the GPL.

> Think about saying the Declaration of Independence failed to satisfy
> the US Constitution.

The DoI is a great political act of rhetoric.  It isn't law.

--
Deshil Holles eamus.  Deshil Holles eamus.  Deshil Holles eamus.
Send us, bright one, light one, Horhorn, quickening, and wombfruit. (3x)
  -- Joyce, Ulysses, "Oxen of the Sun"       cowan at ccil.org