For Approval: BSD License (with express disclaimer of noninfringement added)

Wilson, Andrew andrew.wilson at intel.com
Tue Aug 8 05:33:41 UTC 2006

Sarah Pritchard wrote:

> The existing OSI-approved BSD license is most similar to our proposed
license,
> but the BSD license will not suffice because one of our contributors
insists
> upon an express disclaimer of noninfringement.  For this reason, we
have
> modified the BSD license by adding the word, "NONINFRINGMENT" after
the word,
> "MERCHANTABILITY" in the first sentence of the final paragraph of the
license.

BSD is one of the best known and widely used of all open source
licenses.  Creating a variant at this late date simply because you have
a single contributor who has far too much time on his or her hands and
wants to practice belt and suspenders drafting by adding noninfringement
to the already sweeping disclaimer of warranty and indemnification
is unnecessary.

Andy Wilson
Intel Open Source Technology Center