Free Software Licenses not approved as Open Sourse License

Ernest Prabhakar prabhaka at apple.com
Thu Apr 20 23:04:48 UTC 2006

Hi Andrew,

>> If this assumption is correct, and if OSI strictly enforces the
>> stewards-only policy Laura describes, that creates a highly awkward
>> situation where two of the most important licenses
>> wouldn't even be evaluated.

My perspective is that this *is* a real issue, but that right now it
is *premature*.  The FSF has an excellent process for the community
to provide feedback, and the document is in a huge state of flux.  I
encourage anyone who has concerns or input to express them at
gplv3.fsf.org, as many people associated with the OSI are already doing.

I believe the OSI will at some point  need to state whether the GPLv3
conforms to the OSD, but to some extent how meaningful that is
depends on how much the FSF wants such feedback from them.  At any
rate, this is probably a discussion we want to have after further
revision and clarification from the current draft.  The FSF is doing
a fine job of soliciting feedback as it is, and I don't think this
list add anything to that.

>> Seemingly, something needs to give.

I'm sure it will, but why burn our bridges until we get to them? :-)

-- Ernie P.