Governance and responsibility

Ian Lance Taylor ian at airs.com
Mon Sep 26 03:20:02 UTC 2005

"Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus.com> writes:

> Ian Lance Taylor <ian at airs.com>:
> > > Our "apparent official position" is that we're here to get a job done
> > > that the community has entrusted us with.
> >
> > That statement is a nice example of what I and others periodically
> > complain about.  The community did not entrust you with anything.  You
> > don't speak for the community.
>
> You don't get to make that judgment, Ian.  You're only one person.

It's weird how you just don't get it.  I'm sure you think the same of
me.

I would reply point by point but I have to admit that it wouldn't
achieve anything.  You have to believe that you're "a sort of sense
organ or mirror that the hacker community grew in order to see itself
more clearly" (http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=209).  Nothing I can say is
going to shake that kind of world view.

Ian