selling GPL sources

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Sep 19 23:37:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 04:07:11PM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> "Guilherme C. Hazan" <guich at superwaba.com.br> writes:
> > I'm aware of a program that uses the GPL license and the author made
> > the binaries free but not the sources. He asks a fee for the sources
> > (about 100usd).
> >
> > Is this legal or is he infringing the GPL license?
>
> The GPL permits "a charge no more than your cost of physically
> performing source distribution."  If his cost is 100USD or greater,
> than he is not infringing.  If his cost is less than 100USD, then he
> is infringing.

The original poster said this person was the "author" of the program. If
he in fact owns all copyright, then he can do whatever weird distribution
scheme he wants, yes? Other people, if they happen to somehow receive a
copy licensed under the GPL, would then need to follow the GPL if they
wanted to distribute it (or derivative works) further.

--Roger