License Committee Report for September 2005

Brian Behlendorf brian at collab.net
Fri Sep 9 17:42:59 UTC 2005

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Russell Nelson wrote:
> Oh, yes, I see what you mean.  I totally lost the "rules" under
> discussion.  But you're still wrong about "Someone changed the rules."

I took Forrest's comment to mean that these three extra requirements for
new licenses were introduced in the last year; and as far as I can tell
only in a single email to this list, and not yet even reflected on the OSI
web site.  At least, I don't see the "license must be unique" et al on

http://www.opensource.org/docs/certification_mark.php

or

http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php

Since it's no longer about conformance to a fairly objective
specification, you really should stop referring to it as a "certification
mark", IMHO.

> I agree with what Eric says.  The perspective from the hot seat is
> completely different.  No matter what you do, people complain.

IOW, "now is not the time to play the blame game."

 	Brian