License Committee Report for September 2005

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Fri Sep 9 16:13:57 UTC 2005

Forrest J. Cavalier III writes:
 > I don't blame you for making an honest mistake.  But because ESR
 > was writing to Ben, not Alex, the meaning of ESRs "when you walked in"
 > is quite different.

Oh, yes, I see what you mean.  I totally lost the "rules" under
discussion.  But you're still wrong about "Someone changed the rules."
OSI has always done exactly what Eric describes.  If you want to
maintain that we changed the rules about how OSI operates, then you
should explain what you thought the rules were previously, and what
you thought the rules were changed to.

I agree with what Eric says.  The perspective from the hot seat is
completely different.  No matter what you do, people complain.  It's
like Linus said in 1996: you have to just use your 'd' key.  In order
to function in a position of leadership, you have to be willing to
tolerate some unhappiness with your decisions.  Doesn't mean you
*ignore* it, but you have to accept it.

--
--my blog is at     blog.russnelson.com         | with some experience
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok |     you know what to do.