License Proliferation Committee Response

Laura Majerus LMajerus at fenwick.com
Mon Sep 5 02:36:33 UTC 2005

All, I have been on a family vacation this weekend and am just now reading through the backlog of license discuss messages. You guys got active all of a sudden. I'm writing this on a Treo, so forgive typing misrakes.

I regularly read license-discuss but don't post much because I want to be guided by the community and not vice versa.   Russ is the head of the OSI license approval committee and makes recommendations to the board based on comments from this list about licenses to approve. I see Larry's suggestions concerning the OSL as related to aproval and not the LP committe's first project (i.e., tiering). Our second project is a licensing wizard. We just got some programming volunteers for this. I see the LP committee doing other projects down the road intended to chip away at license proliferation issues. . It's silly to think that tiering will solve this issue. It's just a step toward addressing people's concerns. One concern is that newbies have trouble picking licenses going forward and that's all thqat tiering is supposed to address.

The LP committee is working on getting a first cut of tiering factors for the LP-discuss list to comment on. I will certainly post here to alert you all when we post our first effort. I expect *lots* of discussion when we post that.

Feel free to post questions and I'll happily try to answer them.

Laura