License Proliferation

Ian Lance Taylor ian at airs.com
Fri Sep 2 03:56:59 UTC 2005

Russell Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com> writes:

> In other words, do we take into account the interests of the
> community?  Or do we act as a conditional rubber stamp -- conditional
> *only* upon compliance with the OSD?
>
> I suggest that the answer is not obvious.  It's not obvious what the
> right answer is, and it's not obvious what the community wants us to
> do.  Ian Lance Taylor was complaining earlier that we don't ask people
> questions.  Presumably, now that I'm asking, he'll have an opinion.

Luckily for me, I already wrote about this earlier today:
    http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:10738:kjomgbfkliodaimijfbg

In short, my answer is that I think the OSI should take into account
the interests of the community, rather than simply blindly approving
licenses.  However, I think that the particular issue of license
proliferation is best handled by the process already in progress, in
which particular licenses are recommended.  I don't think it is
necessary to reject unnecessary licenses; I think it is sufficient to
simply not recommend them.

Ian