Contributor Agreements (Was: Licensing question)

Frank Hecker hecker at hecker.org
Fri Nov 11 21:37:07 UTC 2005

David Ryan wrote:
> The discussion of contributor agreements made me wonder about standard
> practices for these documents.  I've grabbed a few links to see how
> others have drafted theirs.
>
> http://www.netbeans.org/download/contributor-agreement.pdf
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt
> http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/jca.pdf
> http://ecos.sourceware.org/assign.html
> http://www.cygwin.com/assign.txt
> http://rhea.redhat.com/CCMCopyrightAssignment.html

When I was at CollabNet we also did a contributor assignment agreement
for the openadaptor project:

http://www.openadaptor.org/contributor-assignment-form.pdf
http://www.openadaptor.org/contributor-assignment-faq.html

This was drafted by one set of lawyers and received review from another
set, with input from me and other non-lawyers; hopefully it remains
understandable after all that :-) The agreement was intended for use by
individual contributors, with special sections for people who were under
work for hire arrangements or who were minors. In practice we had to use
modified versions of the agreement for some cases where a corporation
wanted to contribute code and we wanted to put a blanket assignment
agreement in place to cover all of the corporation's employees.

We also did a separate committer agreement as well, to supplement the
contributor assignment agreement for those people who were actually
committing code to the project CVS repository on their own or on behalf
of others:

http://www.openadaptor.org/committer-access-form.pdf
http://www.openadaptor.org/committer-access-faq.html

I think that committer agreements are another type of agreement that
might benefit from standardizing on best practices. In creating the
openadaptor agreement I liberally borrowed from the corresponding
Mozilla agreement (with permission).

Frank

--
Frank Hecker