An explanation of the difficulty of solving license proliferation in one sentence

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Mar 15 05:27:20 UTC 2005

Quoting Forrest J. Cavalier III (mibsoft at mibsoftware.com):

> I've written enough already, but I can't let this paragraph lie.

Yet, your comments seem to have nothing at all to do with it.  For:

> I have not criticized anonymously then or now, and license-discuss
> is hardly considered public.   [snip a whole lot]

My goodness, I've not seen as extremely _thoroughgoing_ a
misapprehension in many long years.  This is surely a record.

I would have thought that my reference in that paragraph would have been
extremely clear, but it did not concern you or Eric Raymond -- but
rather a flap raised by the likes of "squiggleslash" concerning a
short-lived passage in Russ Nelson's personal blog.

> The "Licensing HOWTO" is not mentioned or linked from the OSI site.
> I fail to see how it is a work "coming out of the OSI."

Excuse me, but I first corrected your erroneous (and scurrilous)
statement about Eric Raymond leaving the Board, and then commented that
he remains on the Board where he _belongs_, because among other things
he's coauthor of the best thing to come out of OSI in eight years.

I really have no interest in bandying organisational politics with you,
but, to quote the HOWTO:

    This is a draft of an OSI working paper.  It has not yet been
    formally approved by OSI's board, though OSI and its legal counsel
    have approved the direction of the work.

> The OSI was formed in Fall 1998, so what's the reference to 8 years?

Palo Alto restaurant, 1997.  Christine Peterson of the Foresight
Institute.  If you don't get the reference, ask around or look it up in
the book _Open Sources_.

> You also asked for clarity on "unprofessional".

Um, no, I most certainly did not.  I have little time or patience for
that sort of rubbish namecalling rhetoric.  Which I'm quite sure is what
I said the first time.

--
Cheers,           find / -user your -name base -print | xargs chown us:us
Rick Moen
rick at linuxmafia.com