Question regarding a new local license approach

Walter van Holst walter.van.holst at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 15:04:26 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 04:15:16 -0500, Chuck Swiger <chuck at codefab.com> wrote:

> Can you write an open-source software license which is valid not just
> under Australian law, but is OK with Dutch law, US law, and everywhere
> else?

To cut a very long story short: no.

Let me put it this way: I am willing to eat a printout of the very
e-mail I am writing right now if you can pull of that trick. The only
requirement is that such a wonderful holy grail of software licenses
not only is OSI-compliant, but also limits liabilities and warranties
to the lowest extent possible in all jurisdictions (including
jurisdictions like Sudan and Afghanistan).

Everytime I learn something about legal concepts from other
jurisdictions than mine, I do realise that every society comes up with
wildly different solutions for similar problems.

Regards,

 Walter