Three new proposed OSD terms

Ernest Prabhakar prabhaka at apple.com
Mon Mar 7 19:26:05 UTC 2005

On Mar 7, 2005, at 10:22 AM, Steve Quinn wrote:

>> Russell Nelson wrote:
>> Don't go shopping for shampoo, toothpaste, or antiperspirant, then.
>
> At least if I am shopping for shampoo, toothpaste, etc. I can quickly
> review the products and identify those that I believe will fulfill my
> purpose. If I am shopping for a Shampoo/Conditioner combination, I
> can tell which ones meet that criteria.  The same if I want
> toothpaste with Fluoride.  This is not true when shopping for an open
> systems license.

It is worth noting how the marketplace solves the "shampoo" problem:
- required labeling of ingredients
- no store carries every shampoo; "buyers" do the hard editorial work
of picking an optimal subset
- reviewer's guides (e.g., Consumer Reports) provide analysis from
trusted, presumably unbiased experts

I think that's what we need here.  We shouldn't try to eliminate the
supply of new licenses (or shampoo) -- there will always be boutiques
that cater to a specialized niche. What I'm hearing is that people want
the OSI  to not JUST be the wholesaler that carries every brand of
shampoo ever made.  They want the OSI (or someone) to act like an
intelligent RETAILER, and place the most useful brands in an
attractive, easy-to-find display.  Along with careful labeling, so
consumers can make an informed choice.

I don't see a particular reason it HAS to be the OSI; arguably the OSDL
could do the same thing, by creating a 'recommended' list which it
endorses.  But, then again, I don't mind the OSI doing it; I just don't
want to do it via the OSD.

-- Ernie P.