Three new proposed OSD terms

David Dillard david.dillard at veritas.com
Thu Mar 3 20:16:13 UTC 2005

To me there are two reasons to reduce the number of OSS licenses:

1. To allow code from one project to be used in other projects (for
those that want to take that risk).

2. To make it easier for projects to be adopted by organizations.

With #2, it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with organizational
inefficiencies.  But even if it did that's a good enough reason to make
reducing the number of licenses that really get used a goal.  Isn't
proliferation of open source a goal of the OSI?  If it is, then reducing
the number of licenses that are widely used is one step (one fairly
significant step IMO) in reaching that goal.

--- David