basic open source 101

Ervin Gong ervin at hawaii.edu
Thu Jun 30 01:46:39 UTC 2005

I am a student from the University of Hawaii and I have a few
questions that i hope you all can answer regardinig this topic.  i
hope that you could shine some light into this subject for me because
of my lack of computer knowlegable circle of friends.  my questions
are:

open source goes against many of the things taught in business (my
major), where most people are very protective of their intelectual
properties.
-why do people want to share their knowledge for no profit?
-what does companies like IBM gain from putting their source codes for
everyone to see?
-would IBM be able to use the source codes contributed by open source
and sell it for a profit?
-can anyone make addtions to the source code and not reveal it to the
public?
-redhat sells a enterprise linus and other software for $349.00 that
doesn't sound free to me?  any reason why they can do that?

please excuse my ignorance if any of these questions are "dumb"
questions.  hope to hear from some of you.

ervin