OVPL and open ownership

Chris Zumbrunn chris at czv.com
Sat Jul 23 06:41:56 UTC 2005

On Jul 23, 2005, at 2:06 AM, David Barrett wrote:

> In the case of typical dual licensing, the community owns the code,
> and continously grants the initial developer extra privileges as a
> reward for "good behavior".  If the ID in a current dual-licensing
> scheme starts acting poorly, the community will just stop going
> through the extra effort to grant him special rights
>
> In the case of the OVPL, the *initial developer* owns the code, and
> continously grants the community the right to modify it so long as
> it's advantageous to him.  However, there's no way for the community
> to reject the ID because they're not in charge.
>
> [snip]
>
> I recall that one of the existing OSI licenses (I can't recall which
> one, unfortunately) gave the contributor an option to either accept
> the license as is, or to remove a part of the license and submit it
> under that.  I wonder if the OVPL could do something similar, and give
> the contributor the right to remove section 3.3 in its entirety, and
> thus explicitly deny the initial developer his special rights.

Hmm, David, if you are willing to go this far then you are really
moving away from what the OVPL intents (I don't think making 3.3
optional will be acceptable to Alex's client). I've been following the
discussion all along and your intention seemed not to be adequately
addressed by the Copyback license. But with your latest statements
you've moved significantly in this direction. The main remaining
difference is that the Copyback license also allows others to create
proprietary derivative works as long as they fulfill the copyback
obligation. In all other regards I think it addresses your original
concerns better than what you are proposing now.

Copyback License

  Redistribution, use, public performance, sublicencing and
  selling with or without modification (the "Deployment") of
  works (the "Work") referencing this license in their copyright
  notices (the "Copyright Notice"), are permitted provided that
  the following conditions are met:

  1. Deployment must retain any Copyright Notice, the above
     grant, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

  2. The name of the Work must not be used to endorse, promote
     or name works derived from the Work without prior written
     permission, which may be obtained by contacting the contact
     address provided in the Copyright Notice (the "Project").

  3. Reasonable efforts to support the Work must be made by
     contributing any modifications and additions, enabling the
     Project to easily obtain such contributions and granting
     the Project rights for Deployment of such contributions.

  4. Alternative license terms may be negotiated by contacting
     the Project and must be obtained in writing.

  The Work is provided "as is" and without warranty of any
  kind, expressed or implied, to the maximum extent permitted by
  applicable law, but with the warranty of being written without
  malicious intent or gross negligence; in no event shall the
  Project, a distributor, author or contributor be held liable
  for any damage, direct, indirect or other, however caused,
  arising in any way out of the usage of the Work, even if
  advised of the possibility of such damage.

http://copyback.czv.com/

Chris

chris at czv.com  +41 329 41 41 41
Chris Zumbrunn Ventures - http://www.czv.com/
Internet Application Technology - Reduced to the Maximum