OVPL and open ownership

David Barrett dbarrett at quinthar.com
Sat Jul 23 00:06:18 UTC 2005

Ok, I hope you'll forgive me for taking so long, but something clicked
for me in your last message and I think I might finally "get" your concern.

The discussion on risk/reward I think was a distraction, as I'll wager
you would oppose the OVPL as written no matter how statistically
insignificant the odds of abuse, just as I'd support it no matter how
statistically significant.  Rather, I think we're debating a matter of
principle, specifically: "how can source be called 'open' if the
community doesn't own it?"

In the case of typical dual licensing, the community owns the code, and
continously grants the initial developer extra privileges as a reward
for "good behavior".  If the ID in a current dual-licensing scheme
starts acting poorly, the community will just stop going through the
extra effort to grant him special rights

In the case of the OVPL, the *initial developer* owns the code, and
continously grants the community the right to modify it so long as it's
advantageous to him.  However, there's no way for the community to
reject the ID because they're not in charge.

Now the probability of the community wanting to reject the ID, or the
severity if they're unable to do so, these are subjects for debate.  But
that debate doesn't frankly matter.  What does matter is that
maintaining the ID's irrevocable ownership over the project is the
dividing line between open and closed.  Said another way, a requirement
for "open source" is that the community owns the code, and always has
the final say.

So, am I finally getting the point you (and others) have been making all
along?

If so, I wonder if you'd support the following change to the OVPL:

Earlier, Andrew suggested that he'd support the OVPL if 3.3 was simply
made optional, and contributors could opt-in by signing the license and
mailing it in.  I rejected this in a kneejerk fashion, as it does very
little to reduce my paperwork overhead or the "stamp-licking burden" on
the contributor.

However, I wonder if you and Andrew would support making the license
*opt-out*.

I recall that one of the existing OSI licenses (I can't recall which
one, unfortunately) gave the contributor an option to either accept the
license as is, or to remove a part of the license and submit it under
that.  I wonder if the OVPL could do something similar, and give the
contributor the right to remove section 3.3 in its entirety, and thus
explicitly deny the initial developer his special rights.

In this way, the initial developer would simply confirm that the
submitted code includes section 3.3, and can make an immediate decision
on whether or not to include in his source code.  Auditing is likewise
simplified, as there is no cross referencing to paper documents to
perform -- simply review that all patches checked into the main tree
include section 3.3, and there's a clear pedigree.  This neatly solves
my paperwork overhead concern.

And so long as the initial developer is in good standing with the
community, they would naturally leave section 3.3 intact, and continue
granting the initial developer extra rights.  This would require no
stamp licking, no paper signing, and in fact no effort whatsoever.  The
typical one-time contributor need take no extra action to satisfy the
criteria for inclusion in the initial developer's mainline repository.
This neatly solves my contributor-hassle concern.

However, the big change is that anyone, at any time, could do a global
search and replace on the codebase and remove section 3.3 entirely,
thereby releasing a fork of the code to which the initial developer has
no special rights.  Naturally the ID can keep all code contributed with
3.3 up to that point.  But in this way, the community has the legal
right to disown the initial developer and forge a new path.  I believe
this neatly solves your concern.

(There's also the option of letting the community choose a new ID, but
I'd recommend against that else the day after I release my code, a
competitor could just snatch the whole thing up, reassign himself as the
ID, and then go on an advertising blitz to attract all the developers to
his branch.)

So have I finally grokked your concern about the OVPL?  And would this
change address it?

-david